Friday 21 October 2011

Do I live in London?

I have a sneaking suspicion I do, South London actually.  I must admit it all seemed a bit like a holiday at first, living in a youth hostel, eating junk and reading and reading and reading.  Now I feel I live here, I have my own room and an oyster card and groceries and all those things that are part of just living.  I go into work each morning, I know where to stand on the platform to get the less crowded cars, I know not to speak to guys who ask me "You alright darling?" on the street and I am becoming quite familiar with the tube system as I have propped all over London.  You get a weird familiarity though, propping - I can tell you where the major sports shops are, also second hand bookstores and which ones have the best selection of classics, I can even tell you about the areas with the most flooring shops and if they sell vinyl tiles.  In the midst of my research I also looked up places more useful to me and plan to explore the markets and antique stores and charity shops (thrift stores).  London is no longer a holiday destination consisting of museums and more souvenir shops than is probable, it's a real place where you get necessities and go to work and all those everyday little occurrences.  I may even like London, they have Mexican food for one thing, it's so different from Cardiff but has its own character that I look forward to being friends with.

All that being said, I still need community, I need some eccentric people who like the Muppets, conversation and good food.  I'll find 'em, just need the patience.

1 comment:

  1. You're living in my favorite city in the whole world. Envy.

    ReplyDelete