Monday 1 August 2011

Hello Edinburgh, and how are you doing this day?

Yesterday afternoon we arrived in Edinburgh, after only seven hours in a van.  We listened to Daz's (one of my lecturers) occasionally strange music.  We did stop at s really nice rest stop that had barbecued burgers and a duck pond - so cool.  Other than that our ride up was uneventful.  My last weekend in Cardiff was a bit surreal, knowing it was my last couple nights in my cozy little house and my last days in that town I love.

So Shannon and I decided to commemorate it first by going to a bar we had been threatening to go to since probably week two - the Cathays Liberal Club.  It's this old man bar near our house.  The people who frequent it do so just as their fathers and grandfathers and probably great-grandfathers have done so, time out of mind.  They serve up the local Brains ale but I had a Guinness, as is my wont,  and we played the Beatles and Meatloaf on their, and I use the term loosely, jukebox.  We sang along and others joined in - it was magical.  We celebrated our last night by going to our local bar and getting dinner and then headed off to two of our favourite seedy clubs.  On these adventures we dragged poor American Joe.  American Joe is a student from Virginia who did an exchange program a year and a half ago and is now jumping into our Venue 13 team.  He's on my team actually.  He's been a pretty good sport about the things we've made him tag along to do, sweet kid.

I miss my house.  I hate that my stuff is in a storage unit on City Rd.  I can't believe that when I come back from visiting California I will be living in London and not my lovely Cardiff.  I'll just have to visit Wales often to get my fix.  And to clear my lungs, London had chewy air, like LA.  Luckily, first before I visit Claremont I will be camping in Pembrokeshire.  I miss camping and it's a part of Wales that I have not had the pleasure of seeing.  I miss my room, my overgrown back garden, my chip shop... sigh.

Our first day in Edinburgh has been great.  We unloaded, moved everything in and hung the truss, rigged the lights and Shannon and I got to organize this pit under the stage where we keep the props and set pieces for the shows.  We have this cute system for organizing tea for tea breaks, there's a chart showing how everyone takes their tea and a piece of electrical tape across the counter with everyone's name and their mug is right there so it's all set up so easily.  Tea breaks are a big deal here.

Gonna try to blog everyday whilst I'm at the Fringe - we'll see

Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment